Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is known as a “natural ﬁller” treatment that gives a more youthful appearance to the skin with minimal downtime. There are virtually no risks of allergies or sensitivity as PRP is derived from your own blood. PRP is actually blood plasma containing high concentrations of platelets that stimulate stem cells to help the body regenerate and heal at a faster rate. PRP improves overall skin texture, decreases the appearance of ﬁne lines and wrinkles around the mouth and eyes, and plumps hollowing areas such as tear trough grooves, cheeks, and temples. PRP can also help smooth both acne and surgical scars.
Overview of the PRP Treatment
PRP Facial Rejuvenation takes about an hour to complete. A topical numbing cream may be applied 1 hour before the treatment to the treatment area to minimize discomfort during the procedure. Next, 1-4 vials of blood are drawn and centrifuged to separate out a layer of concentrated plasma rich cells, platelets and growth factors. This layer is then extracted and injected into the skin using very ﬁne needles. Patients typically experience mild stinging during the procedure. ProNox (laughing gas) may be used to further minimize discomfort during the injection process for an additional cost. Injecting PRP directly into the tissue allows your body to absorb and fully utilize all the beneﬁts of your extracted platelet rich plasma.
PRP facial rejuvenation naturally stimulates your body’s own collagen production, and it takes about three months for maximum collagen regeneration to occur. Most patients notice an improvement in their skin texture in the ﬁrst month after the treatment. It is recommended to have 2-3 treatments spaced at 6-8 week intervals. The results of PRP rejuvenation are long term with most patients receiving touch up treatments at one year to further stimulate collagen production and continued facial rejuvenation. For more immediate improvement, we can combine the beneﬁts of the PRP facial rejuvenation with Botox, ﬁllers, microneedling, and laser skin resurfacing.
Risks and Recovery
PRP Facial Rejuvenation is one of the lowest risk treatments because the process involves injecting a substance sourced from your own body. Mild injection site bruising, swelling or redness can occur but usually resolves after 3-7 days following the procedure and may be safely concealed with make-up shortly after the treatment. Other risks include infection and pain at injection sites. It is recommended that patients start taking Arnica, a homeopathic medication that naturally decreases bruising and swelling following procedures.
Do Not take Aspirin, unless prescribed, for at least 1 week before the procedure. For optimal results and to decrease the chance of bruising at the draw site, please avoid all non-prescribed blood thinning medications and herbal supplements for 1 week prior to your appointment. Avoid taking non-prescribed Fish oil, Aspirin, and other non-steroidal anti-inﬂammatory medications (NSAIDS) such as such as Ibuprofen, Motrin and Aleve. Please notify your provider if you are taking Coumadin, Plavix, or any other blood thinners for any medical conditions.
- AVOID ALCOHOLIC beverages the day before your treatment, as they can cause dehydration, and increase the risk of bruising.
- Diet before Procedure: You should have a light meal before arriving at the ofﬁce and avoid caffeine.
- HYDRATE: You should drink at least 8 glasses of water 24 hours before your treatment and at least 12 ounces of water the morning of your treatment. Failure to come hydrated may result in suboptimal blood draw.
- If we are unable to draw your blood because you did not properly hydrate, then your appointment may be rescheduled and subject to cancellation fees.
- Avoid makeup, retinoids, glycolic acids, vitamin C products for 1 week before your procedure.
Post care for injection of PRP
For 3 days after the procedure:
- DO NOT apply makeup
- DO NOT touch the injection site, except for gentle cleansing
- DO NOT swim or undertake in any strenuous exercise
- DO NOT sit in a sauna, hot tub, or Jacuzzi
- DO NOT expose yourself to extreme hot or cold temperatures, or to large swings in temperature
- Use only gentle skin care products to wash the treated area for the ﬁrst 3 days such as Cetaphil gentle cleanser. After that you can resume normal skin care.
- Oxygenetix post procedure makeup with sun screen is recommended as coverup makeup (if needed post-procedure).
For treatments involving the face or lip area:
- DO NOT drink very hot or cold beverages for 3 days.
- DO NOT undergo other cosmetic treatments such as chemical peels, laser treatments, etc. for at least one month.
Post care for topical application of PRP (combined with microneedling or laser)
- DO NOT wash your skin for 5 hours after treatment.
- DO NOT swim or undertake in any strenuous exercise or activity that may cause sweating for 5 hours
- DO NOT expose yourself to the sun for 5 hours.
- For best results and efﬁcacy: We recommend a series of 3-6 treatments administered at 6-8 week intervals. You may notice immediate as well as longer term improvements in your skin.
Potential Side Effects
In some very rare cases, slight side effects may occur: redness, local swelling, edema, local pain. These should not last more than a few hours, but can last up to a few days. These are normal treatment consequences. In case of local infection, antibiotics may be prescribed. Nevertheless, immediately contact your treating provider with any questions. Multiple treatments are needed for optimal results.